Saturday, January 31, 2009

I swear I didn't get this recipe from family circle magazine...

Last night I fed two teenagers, myself, and another adult. I knew the two teenagers would be unappreciative at best, but they both actually cleaned their plates, which leads me to believe that every once in a while I do something right!

I started with one of my "go-to" recipes: jasmine rice with peanuts and cilantro, which I have blogged about elsewhere on here, and the main dish was Parmesan Chicken. Both recipes are from The Gourmet Cookbook , which is pretty much by bible these days. I make the jasmine rice dish pretty often, because now that I have my little Dualit food processor it's a snap to make. The parmesan chicken I chose because....I already had bread crumbs in my cupboard, and I remember this recipe being a cinch to make.

I have yet to use homemade bread crumbs in a recipe. In fact, I like to keep a cannister of store-bought bread crumbs because I use them in a favorite pasta recipe (pasta with bread crumbs and capers, from the same cookbook) and they seem to just nice to have on hand. I do suspect, though, that this chicken recipe would appear a little bit less Family Circle magazine-y if I used homemade ones. This recipe always comes out a tad bit salty for my taste, which perhaps comes from the dijon mustard? Don't get me wrong, I love it, and it's one of those recipes where the coating on the chicken runs off a little bit and burns into the pan - have to eat that part, too!

3 T dijon mustard
1 t white wine vinegar
dash salt
dash pepper
6 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless and cut in half

1 1/2 english muffins to turn into bread crumbs
3/4 cup finely grated parmigiano-reggiano
1 T unsales butter, melted

preheat oven to 400 degrees, with the rack in the middle.

Whisk together mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, and toss the chicken in this.

Combine bread crumbs with cheese, butter. Take the chicken and mess it around in the bread crumb mixture (latex gloves make this less messy for me; I get the willies touching raw chicken). After the crumbs adhere, move the chicken to a baking dish or sheet. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, or 15-20 minutes.

Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment