Friday, April 17, 2009

celery unvictorious

My mom left town and in her wake was an extra club of celery (bunch of celery? whatever they are called). Not wanting to let *anything* go to waste, I consulted - yes, my usual - The Gourmet Cookbook
I learned something about myself through this process: I find celery, even cooked and slightly tender celery, very tedious to eat. I absolutely loved the dressing, and plan on making that again for a salad, but I'd eye a piece of celery and just dread how much work it was going to be to chew it. It probably could have cooked longer, but I'll never know, because I doubt I'll try it again. The dressing, however, is tangy and refreshing and delicious, so I'll mention it here:

3 T dijon mustard
1t sugar
1.5 T canola oil (I used olive oil)
3T chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1T finely chopped fresh chives

Whisk together mustard, sugar and broth in small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until well blended. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chives.

enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment