Monday, March 2, 2009

bok choy with soy sauce and butter...at least I *think* it was bok choy!

My latest trip to the Santa Monica Farmer's Market (saturday morning at the promenade, the one I prefer) yielded some lovely bok choy, but I have to admit that when I got it home it didn't look exactly like bok choy...the white parts of the stalks were a lot smaller and thinner. I proceeded with recipe anyway, for lack of a better idea, and I'm so pleased that I did. It's best served with rice or bread to soak up any extra sauce (mmmmm......). Thinking it would also be delicious with scallops. I served it with a side of roasted tomatoes with lots of garlic and parmesan cheese prepared by st. This was a taste feast! Full disclosure: I used Trader Joe's clam sauce instead of oyster sauce, having no idea what oyster sauce is like, but it came out delicious! The clam sauce and butter did not make this dish heavy, as I thought it might, but instead helped the sauce to coat the bok choy nicely. At one point I said "I have a really good feeling about this meal" and I was right!

From The Gourmet Cookbook , I give you bok choy with soy sauce and butter.

2 T water
1 T soy sauce
1 T oyseter sauce
2 T veggie oil
2 heads bok choy, trimmed and cut into slices
1/2 t salt
2 T unsalted butter

Stir together water and soy and oyster sauces in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat oil in a 10-12 inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add bok choy and start stir frying for 2 minutes. Add soy mixture and butter and stir fry until bok choy is crisp and tender, 1-2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment